Next to Bacon, Andouille Sausage is the most versatile thing at the MQ HQ! This sausage mixture has great versatility to be used in everything from a Burger patty to a Shrimp & Sausage Boil to Biscuits & Gravy (keep your eye open for future recipes)
Measuring Cups & Spoons
Large mixing bowl
Airtight containers or sealing bags to portion the final mixture.
- 6 lbs ground pork
- 3 1/3 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 3 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 cup cold red wine
- Making the sausage mixture is easy….place everything in a large bowl or mix master and gently mix, but don’t over mix! You’ll know you’re over mixing when the meat changes consistency and starts to get mushy.
- Once fully mixed I tend to portion into 2 separate freezer bags. Being as this comes from ground meat, anything not being cooked within 48 hours should be refrigerated immediately.
- If you’re making sausage links, place the mixture, covered, in the refrigerator until your equipment is set up & ready to go.
#joetip If you didn’t get a chance to pre chill the red wine, place some ice cubes in a small zip lock bag and place in a bowl, then pour the wine into the bowl and use the bag to gently stir the wine. This will chill the wine quickly without watering it down.