Is it a roast or a steak? Tri-Tip can be considered both by size and even by the way you cook it but in my opinion, it’s a steak for 2 or 3, maybe even 4! Packed with flavor, this cut gained notoriety in California for its amazing taste versatility for use in many dishes.
- 1 Tri-Tip
- Motley Que Beef Fix
- SHARP Knife. (I recommend a boning knife)
- Meat Probe
- Smoker with Oak or Hickory Wood
- Trim the surface fat & membrane from the exterior of the Tri-Tip
- Evenly season all sides of the Tri Tip
- Allow seasonings to “marinate for 30 minutes while you get the cooker to a temp of 225F
- Once temp is reached, place Tri-Tip on the cooker.
- Smoke until IT reaches your desired steak temp.
- Pull the tri-tip and lightly cover with tin foil until you are able to get the cooker cranked to a grilling temperature (My sweet spot is 500F!)
- Return Tri-Tip to the cooker and sear each side for 1 to 2 minutes to really get that char texture & flavour.
- Pull & rest for 5 minutes, allowing the juices to distribute throughout the Tri-Tip.
- Paying close attention to which way the grain goes, slice in pencil width slices across the grain to achieve maximum tenderness.
When we have Tri Tip, there usually isn’t any leftovers but when the stars align and there are….ooohhh baby…Tri Tip Taco’s. Feel free to email your thank you’s!